REVIEW: Broken by Marianne Curley

13:38

Broken by Marianne Curley 
Published by Bloomsbury's Children Books on March 13th 2014
Genres: young adult, paranormal, fantasy, romance
Pages: 352
Format: ARC
Source: Bloomsbury Children Books
Rating: Three Stars 

Following the revelation that Ebony is an angel, and Nathaneal’s narrow victory in battle with Prince Luca, the two are enjoying their new found love. But Ebony’s friend Jordan is bitterly angry that he has lost the girl of his dreams. Then suddenly Prince Michael arrives to arrest Nathaneal for breaking Avena’s law when he revealed his powers on Earth in his bid to save Ebony from Luca. Nathaneal is forced to return to Avena without Ebony to stand trial.

Jordan seizes the opportunity to plant doubt in Ebony’s mind about Nathaneal and her own angelic nature. Desperate to find out what has happened to her adoptive parents, Ebony is persuaded by Jordan to believe that new teacher Mr Xavier, who claims to be her uncle, can introduce her to her real father. Disaster inevitably follows and Ebony finds herself at the centre of another epic battle in the realm of Avena itself.

The minute that Broken came through my letterbox, I was so excited to read it! So I began reading the words written by Marianne Curley, and about twenty pages in I became bored. But I wanted to finish this book because I hate DNFs! So, I carried on with Curley's story and my mind became even more blank than it was before. I just couldn't see anything awesome in Broken. And in consequence of this, I knew that this wasn't going to be a five star review. However, due to the teacher's last name being Xavier I did make myself a little joke thinking that he was Charles Xavier from X-Men. So that sort of kept a star on. Broken follows the story of Hidden, which is the first book in the series. This book is told from many of the characters' perspectives and I found that a little confusing. 

As I just said, Broken is told from many of the different character's perspectives. It is mostly told from Ebony however, when different characters come in you loose the whole story completely! I found this frustrating because when I was finally enjoying the book, my mood changed because I lost the plot...Again. But, I did fall in love with well...One of the characters. I really loved Luca because even though he may be evil, his quirky personality really lifted the book! Luca was also a really dramatic character and that made me smile. My friend was reading this book at the same time as I wad and when she asked me what book I perfered, I had to say nither because I thought there wasn't a lot of focus written into Broken or Hidden. 

On the other hand, there were a few parts I did really enjoy in Curley's book! Firstly, I did enjoy the plan that Jordan came up with whereas I loved the way Luca acted towards the end of the book. It was exciting! I also quite liked some of the action scenes, they drew into the book. I guess that is everything that I liked! D: I really wanted to enjoy this book but sadly, it wasn't that great. The plot was slightly all over the place and the words were being dragged on. In my opinion, there isn't really much to this book. Buy hey, it was an angel type book so that could be one of the reasons but I highly doubt it. Please give this book a try, you might enjoy Broken but this book isn't for me! I might do a re-read soon! 

So to sum up Broken, I will not be recommending it to people however, it is all up to you! 

I recived this book from the publisher and in no way did that affect my opinion.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook