BOOK REVIEW: Geek Girl by Holly Smale.

11:35

Harriet Manners knows a lot of things.

She knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a "jiffy" lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. What she isn't quite so sure about is why nobody at school seems to like her very much. So when she's spotted by a top model agent, Harriet grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her Best Friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of the impossibly handsome supermodel Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves.

As Harriet veers from one couture disaster to the next with the help of her overly enthusiastic father and her uber-geeky stalker, Toby, she begins to realise that the world of fashion doesn't seem to like her any more than the real world did.

And as her old life starts to fall apart, the question is: will Harriet be able to transform herself before she ruins everything?
 If I wasn't recommended this book by my friend Georgia from The Biblomaniac Book Blog, I think that I would never would have found this book. So I am so grateful to Georgia for this! The Geek Girl books are one of my all time favourite series and thanks to Holly's wonderful writing, she has inspired me to become an author, just like her! I have reviewed this book at least twice but due to Blogger deleting my blog, all my reviews were wiped out so I am re-writing this review for the last time! Anyway, Geek Girl is a realistic fantasy that takes some of Smale's real life experience, mind blowing facts and also some comedy fantasy that will make you laugh your socks off! I am obsessed with the Geek Girl books because I have read them more than ten times, apart from the most recent one which I will be re-reading soon! Smale makes you feel as if you are Harriet herself and that you carry her misfortunes everywhere you go! I generally think that Smale's books are made of pure genius! You will learn so many facts from Geek Girl it will actually shock your friends if you tell them! (I did and I just got called "Geek" even more!) However, Geek Girl is so good that it is hard to put it down after beginning it!

The plot of Geek Girl is so much different from any of the other books I have read before and I am so elated for this because most books I read always have a similar plot. But not Smale's book! I recommend reading this book with a plate of Sugar Cookies and some tea/coffee/any other drinks because the book will literary take you into another world and you might be a little hungry for more! And if you are wondering why I have italicised the words "Sugar Cookies" is because it is the saying that Harriet says when she knows that something has gone wrong. I may have adopted it as my saying also. Smale has an unique writing technique and every chapter is detailed perfectly...It is the perfect summer read. I find this book quite inspirational, due to the fact that even though you may be a Geek or a Nerd, you can still have the chance of becoming famous or something. So when I send my book to my chosen publisher in November, hopefully, I am hoping I have that chance! The characters are bloody brilliant and my favourite has to be Wilbur. Not "iam" but "bur" Smale is a superb author that deserves her book series to become a movie!

There were a few things I didn't enjoy about Geek Girl but they were only a few small things that did have a slight impact but nonetheless, Geek Girl deserves to be read by you guys and that you should always believe in yourself! =) Thank you Holly Smale for writing a brilliant book series and inspiring me to  write when I am older, and also for the hug last weekend!

four-stars
 Georgia x
If you like Geek Girl, then why not try...
Geek Girl, Picture Perfect
Geek Girl, Model Misfit



             
Geek Girl by Holly Smale
Published by HarperCollins on February 1st 2013
Genres: young adult, contemporary, comedy, romance, realisic fantasy. 
Pages: 378
Format: ARC
                                                     Source: Waterstones 
                                                     Rating: Four Stars                                            
                                                     Buy the book  • Buy the book      
 (Sorry if link thingie is messed up, I have no idea what is happening to it!)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook