BOOK REVIEW: Paper Aeroplanes by Dawn O'Porter.

14:31

It's the mid-1990s, and fifteen year-old Guernsey schoolgirls, Renée and Flo, are not really meant to be friends. Thoughtful, introspective and studious Flo couldn't be more different to ambitious, extroverted and sexually curious Renée. But Renée and Flo are united by loneliness and their dysfunctional families, and an intense bond is formed. Although there are obstacles to their friendship (namely Flo's jealous ex-best friend and Renée's growing infatuation with Flo's brother), fifteen is an age where anything can happen, where life stretches out before you, and when every betrayal feels like the end of the world. For Renée and Flo it is the time of their lives.
When I started Paper Aeroplanes, I didn't know what to expect. And when I was about ten pages in, I wasn't really enjoying this novel because I had found it a little confusing. This was due to the perspective of the character changing every few pages or so and I had found it very hard to get into. Then, about fifty-five pages inwards, something in Dawn's writing had made me change my entire opinion towards this book and I started to really enjoy Paper Aeroplanes. I fell in love with the characters, all of the comical scenes made me laugh much more than before, the events seemed as if I had experienced them in my life and my emotions were toyed with throughout the whole book! It was quite amazing! Dawn O'Porter, if you are a girl, makes you understand the real-life problems a girl has to go through and it doesn't make you feel as if you are alone in the world. And this was a unique way of telling a young girl about her life. I was a little curious about this debut; I have rarely read anything similar to this genre and I thought I wasn't going to enjoy it because the blurb didn't seem as interesting from other books I have read before! =] But by the end of the book, I was either crying or giggling-just by Dawn's spectacularlar writing!

I thought the plot was great, it was different because you don't normally come across books that are told by the perspective of two characters. So I really enjoyed this aspect because I got to see what  Renée and Flo thought of the same dilema! I think that this technique really has a big impact on the reader so I think that really gives Paper Aeroplanes a whole new level of greatness! As I had said in the last paragraph, I fell in love with the characters! My favourite character has to be Renée; she is mostly the reble of the story whereas Flo is just the goody-too-shoes of the story and she just follows the rules. But there are some parts with Flo that I really adored in Dawn's book! =D I think that if you really pay attention to this book, by the end I think that you will be part of the fandom and start to fangirl/fanboy over it. There are so many scenes in this book, it is sometimes really hard to keep up with the pace of the novel and this slightly annoyed me in some parts on the other hand, there are some brilliant parts of this book that you will just re-read again because it was that good! 

Overall, I really enjoyed Paper Aeroplanes and I totally recommend it! It was a powerfull novel and I think Dawn has captured the presence of teenage life beautifully! I think I will never read a book in the same way as I have for Paper Aeroplanes and this book has just opened my eyes up! Please pick up this book and take my word for it...Dawn's book is a masterpiece! 
four-stars 



If you like Paper Aeroplanes, then why not try...

  Paper Aeroplanes by Dawn O'Porter
Published by Hot Key Books on April 23rd 2013
 Genres: young adult, contemporary, realistic fantasy.
Pages: 304
Format: ARC
Source: Aldi
Rating: Four stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook