BOOK REVIEW: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

06:00


HERE IS A SMALL FACT - YOU ARE GOING TO DIE.

1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier.

Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of her street when the bombs begin to fall.

SOME IMPORTANT INFORMATION - THIS NOVEL IS NARRATED BY DEATH.

It's a small story, about: a girl, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist fighter, and quite a lot of thievery.

ANOTHER THING YOU SHOULD KNOW - DEATH WILL VISIT THE BOOK THIEF THREE TIMES.
 This is the most beautiful novel I have ever read about the war. The Book Thief is an emotional, heartbreaking novel that will teach you a lot about living in Nazi Germany, even if this novel is a fantasy! The author of this novel has really taken into consideration of what life was like for the poor and some of the key events of the Second World War. I read this novel as part of a competition that I won, two Odeon vouchers that I have now spent, and when I was reading this book I really wanted to give some of the characters a hug because that's how upset I felt towards them. Emotion really plays a game with you in The Book Thief and the title really does go well with the story itself. The plot of this book fits amazingly with the feel of the novel and oh, the characters have been written beautifully!

The blurb of the novel really draws you into the novel, the story is narrated by Death. You never get a book these days with the story told from the POV of Death. This kind of freaked me out a little but nevertheless, this idea for the story is different and it does have a brilliant affect of the reader and the novel itself! And the narrator of this novel really adds a hell of a lot of description in this novel as well. The Book Thief's cover really does show something because there is a picture of a girl and Death. I think that this girl is dead or is cheating Death or something else entirely. But the cover really drags you in and then suddenly, you would want to but the book! The plot is amazing. It's Death telling the story of the main female character but you forget that Death is narrating and you think it is Liesel herself. Cleverly done!

The characters were written to perfection and I couldn't find a single mistake between them all. If I could have one of the characters as my fictional boyfriend, RUDY! Oh god...*Sobs.* Everything about this novel is pefect and I just love this book so much! This is a brilliant stand alone novel and I couldn't ask for more! The Book Thief is a novel that is much worse than The Fault In Our Stars as it will do more things to you than Green's novel will ever do! Zusak is an fantasic author and I am so glad about reading this novel. Oh and if you were wondering, the competition I had entered at school was to read the book and write a review on it. I did a review on here about this book but because my blog was deleted, I now have to re-write the review!

This book is one of the best I have ever read, but I still haven't seen the movie yet. I'm quite upset about that because I usually see all Book-To-Film adaptations. (Apart from Gone Girl, looks like a stupid film to be honest!) I recommend this book so much and I want you to tell me what you think when/if you have read it!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook