BOOK REVIEW: The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon (The Bone Season #1)

06:00



It is the year 2059. Several major world cities are under the control of a security force called Scion. Paige Mahoney works in the criminal underworld of Scion London, part of a secret cell known as the Seven Seals. The work she does is unusual: scouting for information by breaking into others’ minds. Paige is a dreamwalker, a rare kind of clairvoyant, and in this world, the voyants commit treason simply by breathing.
_____________________________________________
  
I had always thought that this book would an utter bore to read because the blurb didn’t really seem appealing to me. But after reading so many brilliant reviews of this novel, I convinced myself to go out and buy this book. I started it soon after I had met Shannon at the pop up YALC in October and the first few pages really made me get drawn into the novel. The Bone Season is set in the futuristic scene of London but in this book, it isn’t just called that! I found that the way that Shannon had set out her novel seemed very nice and different; however, I did think that she could’ve made her explanation on the city much clearer because even now, I am very confused on how London is set out. There is, in this book, places called I Cohorts and I think that they are sections of London like the zones we have for when we are travelling. This had really confused me and I really wish that everything to do with the layout of London was better written because then I would fully understand the novel and the characters within it. Also, I didn’t quite understand what was Paige’s gift was, I didn’t know where she could read peoples’ minds or that whether she could control them-this also quite annoyed me because I liked the aspect of Paige and what she was getting across. Perhaps if Shannon had really focused on explaining her book a little more, I know that this book would’ve been perfect! 
The plot in The Bone Season is one of those that are a little bit fast paced. There is a hell of a lot of action in this novel, which I have missed I haven’t read a book with action for a while, and I believe that there is a spark of a romance that is featured. There is some very well written chapters and talking scenes however there are also some badly written scenes. I have really mixed emotions about this book because I don’t know whether to hate it or love it! This annoys me because I want to like it, but I also want to hate it because some parts really bored me! I didn’t really think that there was anything in the story line that made me think that I were watching TV but I couldn’t put the book down sometimes when I was reading. The Bone Season did take me just over a week to read because I was struggling to keep up with what was happening. I found that the beginning was a little too rushed and in the middle of the novel I thought that it was at the perfect pace for me to follow with and then towards the end, it sped up again. The dilemma of the book was very well written and I cannot fault the author on that but the conclusion of the book left me with many questions on how the hell did some certain characters ended up in the last scene! If I could, I would edit the book so it would make sense! 
The characters were alright in The Bone Season, some of them were clearly written and I could feel as if I knew them outside of the world that Shannon had set her book in. I have two favourite characters in this book, one of them was called Jaxon or Jax and the other was called Warden. I fell in love with these two characters because I thought that they were one of the best written characters in the book and they seemed to be the only ones that I could fully understand! By the end of Shannon’s novel, I was still confused to what was Paige’s gift was. I really want to understand what she was all about but it wasn’t fully described. I know that Paige is a Dreamwalker, but what is that? A mysterious person or is she just a physic that is just very freaky to be with. I didn’t really like Paige so I am hoping that when I read the next book (The Mime Order, out January 2015) Shannon will fully explain herself as well as Paige’s character! 
I did sort of enjoy this novel and I am happy that I did not DNF it. However I would prefer that I would’ve fully enjoyed this book. I have recommended The Bone Season to a few of my friends because I know they would like this sort of novel but I don’t know whether I will be re-reading this book soon! DFTBA! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook