BOOK REVIEW: Where She Went by Gayle Forman (If I Stay #2)

06:00



It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future-and each other.
 _____________________________________________

 Having devoured If I Stay in one day, I was eagerly waiting for the day until I got Where She Went in my hands so I could start reading it! And if I can be completely honest with you guys, I do not want to write this review because this novel just broke my heart and even talking about it brings a tear to my eye! When I started this book, I did expect it to continue from Mia’s POV but I was shocked to learn that it was told from the way Adam sees the world three years after what has happened with Mia. The first few chapters reminded me of some of the sad books I had read before Where She Went and just reading those sentences just made me cry. I distinctly remember sobbing at the third or fourth chapter because Adam has changed. He isn’t like the sweet Adam that we got to know in If I Stay, he has come back with some more attitude and he has picked up this rock star personality. I didn’t really like this change because I really loved the aspect of what I saw in the first book and now in this one, my liking of Adam has dropped a little bit. This is a shame because Adam is one of my all-time favourite characters and he really reminded me of one of the people that I know. Adam also seems to be really reflective on from the last novel and this is a really good idea because I now get to see what Adam and Mia were thinking at the time of the accident! This was an outstanding feature to the novel because there are some books that try to do this, but then the novel spirals out of control. But in Where She Went, this feature hasn’t affected the book and I know that Forman wanted to make a large impact on her readers by doing this. 


The plot of Where She Went lands the novel in New York three years after the events from the first book, but we already know this from the blurb. I think that the story line has been written very well, there isn’t anything that I thought that didn’t make any sense or that I found confusing and the emotions that poured out of this book really did make me want to jump into the story and yell at Adam to get over it! The story was so hard to predict what would happen next. I didn’t know whether Mia would tell Adam why she broke up with him or that she would try to get back with him, this really made my brain play with everything! I think that Forman is a very talented writer and I cannot wait to read her other books when I get them. (Hopefully for my birthday in April!) The plot is heavily descripted and I think that this was too much so I didn’t really enjoy some sections of the novel. However, the whole book in perspective was very clearly written and I really cannot stop telling people to read these books! If you want a good contemporary read, please read this two book series as it will become your book companions for life. I thought that most of the book was having too much focus on Mia’s recovery and not Adam’s time in New York so I did get bored after a while when Adam mentioned Mia getting better from the accident. So if Forman could edit this book, I would say get rid of some of the repetition and add more about Adam’s experience in NYC. 


The characters in this novel were more focused around Adam and Mia, just like in If I Stay. But in Where She Went there were a few new characters that I believe that should have more of a part in this novel because I really wanted to get to know them! This was another thing that had really saddened me because I wanted to get a feel of all of the characters! Nonetheless, the characters in Forman’s book are amazingly written and I did fall in love with them again. 

I really enjoyed this book and I really hope that they also turn this book into a film because I can really feel that I would go to my local cinema with my friends and cry my heart out over it. (I totally didn’t do that at the film this year.) Where She Went is a novel that I urge you guys to buy/borrow to read because this really does give you an insight to what the consequences can be after a fatal accident. This book makes me so happy and I know that I will be re-reading it in the near future! DFTBA!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook