REVIEW: Banished by Liz De Jager (Blackhart Legacy #1)

00:00

Banished by Liz De Jager
Series || The Blackhart Legacy (#1)
Published by Tor Books on February 27th 2014
Genres || Fantasy, young adult
Pages || 400
Format || Paperback
Source || Pop up YALC 

Buy the book Buy the bookfive-stars
  
 Sworn to protect, honour and slay. Because chaos won’t banish itself…

 Kit is proud to be a Blackhart, now she’s encountered her unorthodox cousins and their strange lives. And her home-schooling now includes spells, fighting enemy fae and using ancient weapons. But it’s not until she rescues a rather handsome fae prince, fighting for his life on the edge of Blackhart Manor, that her training really kicks in. With her family away on various missions, Kit must protect Prince Thorn, rely on new friends and use her own unfamiliar magic to stay ahead of Thorn’s enemies. As things go from bad to apocalyptic, fae battle fae in a war that threatens to spill into the human world. Then Kit pits herself against the Elder Gods themselves – it’s that or lose everyone she’s learnt to love.

(Goodreads)

 Banished was one of my highly anticipated novels of 2014, and I was so excited to when I brought the copy of the book the same day I had met the author. This novel, in my opinion, beats the likes of The Mortal Instruments, The Iron Fey and also The Infernal Devices. Jager's novel is one hell of a fantasic novel to read and you should really watch out for the other  books because I can tell that this will be a brilliant and thrilling series to endure! (Note: I am not being biased because I really enjoyed this novel...None of my reviews are, I promise you.) Jager's writing is highly impressive for a debut author and everything that I had expected from this novel was added in. This is a book that you should read, even if you aren't a fan of hardcore fantasy! 

 My favourite thing about this novel has to be Kit and possibly some of the action as well. The author has clearly shown the way she want's this series to go and I am immensly happy about that because at that rate that she is going, I can surely tell you that there is nothing that you won't dread. I thought that Kit, in Banished, was cleverly written- as she kept me on edge thoughout the novel and I found her quite amusing! When she has to help the Prince of Alba, I think that I realised the true meaning of badass because Kit had it all. Amazing fighting skills, epic ways of thinking and a brilliant way of dealing with things when they go from bad to worse! 

 I adored the whole Blackhart family and I would love it even more if I could learn about the entire history about them. I had so many questions when I was reading this novel and by the end of it, I still had a few questions floating about. But hopefully, in the second novel (Vowed) all of my questions will be anwered! I thought that Kit's voice had a clear perspective and her points really came across to me. I believe that Kit Blackhart is one of the best badass character's I have ever met before. Alongside, Celaena, Katniss and also Clary! I think that Jager has wonderfully shown that she wanted Kit to be one of the best character's in the world and I think that the author has achieved her goal! 

 By far, the best thing about Banished was that the Blackhart family seemed so mundane. They acted like slaying demons was a normal thing to do and it didn't really seem so weird! However, the thing that I would like to see more of it more of Kit's cousin's as they only had short scenes in the book and even though they had short snippets, I laughed all the way through their bits! 

 Banished really offered a great insight to the British mythology to magical creatures with short parts at the beginning of each chapter, that really helped me gain a better insight to what the UK has created (fantasy wise) and I thought that I was suddenly being put into an orientation to becoming a Blackhart. But I wasn't! Why can't I be a Blackhart??

 There were a few bits I didn't really enjoy about Banished. However, as I really enjoyed the novel I don't see the point of going into detail about it! The plot was always keeping me on edge and I thought that was one of the best things about this novel! Everything wasn't too rushed, nor to slow and I now just want more of the Blackhart family! All of the other characters were also so great and I think I might've found a new fictional boyfriend...

 Thank you Liz, I wanted to be emotionally destroyed anyway! If you aren't a fan of reading or even fantasy, I definately recommend you to read this book and if you are a fan of both, I say the same to you! I cannot seriously wait to read the next book and I cannot believe that this debut has destroyed my soul so much! 


Gee xxx

mynameis

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook