REVIEW: The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon (The Bone Season #2)

12:00

 I recived this book from Bloomsbury Publishing in exchange for a honest review. In no way has this affected my opinion or any content in this review. 

The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon
Series || The Bone Season (The Bone Season #2)
Genre || Dystopian, young adult 
Pages || 528
Format || ARC Paperback 
Source || Bloomsbury Publishing

Buy the book Buy the bookthree-stars

Paige Mahoney has escaped the brutal penal colony of Sheol I, but her problems have only just begun: many of the fugitives are still missing and she is the most wanted person in London.

As Scion turns its all-seeing eye on Paige, the mime-lords and mime-queens of the city’s gangs are invited to a rare meeting of the Unnatural Assembly. Jaxon Hall and his Seven Seals prepare to take center stage, but there are bitter fault lines running through the clairvoyant community and dark secrets around every corner.

(Goodreads


  I had very high expectations for The Mime Order because I didn't really enjoy The Bone Season, as you have seen when (if you have, I'll leave the link to the review at the bottom of this review) you read my review for the first novel. The Mime Order has shown a much better improvement to the series and I think that becuase of Shannon's correction in the way she has written her storyline, I have begun to actually like the whole idea of clairvoyants. In my opinion, I think that I would re-read this series-only beacause of this book has changed my mind- however, the rest of the series is due to come so we will have to wait and see! 

  There was so many things that either made my heart stop when I had gotten to an excellent plot twist or made me well up with anger, because the book had gotten a little too silly for my liking. The Mime Order has given me really mixed emotions and it was hard to choose a rating for it! Nevertheless, my feelings for Paige has slightly changed and that is becuase I feel that she has grown up in the short amount of time that the books are set apart from and also because of all of the events that had happened in The Bone Season.

 My favourite thing about this novel was the explainations Shannon has finally explained what Paige's power is all about and I could fully follow the novel. However, with some of the really silly written parts I did start to go back to the past pages to make sure everything was right because the way the author was writing it- it made me loose track to what I was reading. I hope this really changes in the next book! 

 So I know I have mentioned that a few things were really silly, yes there were and I believe that those small things really had made a massive consequence, lets say, in the plot line. For example, usuing no spoilers- of course, I saw that Shannon was trying to put across that a certain character was some sort of evil badass but because of the events she had added in, it just didn't work and the big reveal kinda sucked. Big time. This had really dissapointed me for so many reasons, one being that I wanted to be shocked while I saw this scene developing. But no, I had to act supprised! Please fix this, Shannon! 

 The actual plot of this book wasn't that too bad, I could see what Shannon wanted to do with this book and her ideas really pleased me! The way she formed new characters was fantasic and her desription was one of the best. But some of the old characters got a little annoying and I started to dislike the ones that I enjoyed meeting! But, I believe that Shannon focused too much on the male characters- rather than the females. Apart from the main female lead, of course, I had found this depressing because I fear that all of the characters will become way too good or far too  bad! D: 

In general, my feelings of this book are okay. I would recommend The Mime Order to a few people, but I wouldn't say this book is for everybody. If you like dystopian novels with a splash of fantasy, The Mime Order is for you but I would like to say as this is a debut series for the author- I think that The Mime Order is an alright start for Shannon! 

Gee xxx
The Bone Season review: http://www.thebooksbandit.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/book-review-bone-season-by-samantha.html

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook