REVIEW || Seconds by Brian Lee O'Malley

00:00

Seconds by Brian Lee O'Malley
Published by Ballantine Books 
Genres adult, fiction
Pages 336
Format Hardcover
Source Christmas present
Buy the book • Buy the book • 


Katie’s got it pretty good. She’s a talented young chef, she runs a successful restaurant, and she has big plans to open an even better one. Then, all at once, progress on the new location bogs down, her charming ex-boyfriend pops up, her fling with another chef goes sour, and her best waitress gets badly hurt. And just like that, Katie’s life goes from pretty good to not so much. What she needs is a second chance. Everybody deserves one, after all—but they don’t come easy. Luckily for Katie, a mysterious girl appears in the middle of the night with simple instructions for a do-it-yourself do-over. (Goodreads


Seconds shows the consequences of when you mess up with the forces of Karma and also when you decide to use something when you don't know how to use it. O'Malley shows a brilliantly devised story, filled with so much detail and vibrant pictures. It seems like O'Malley has done it again, after his shockingly good manga series- Scott Pilgrim! 

Seconds is supposed to be set mostly for adults because there are a few mentions of sex, however I find that this is a Teen Fiction and Young Adult novel to Adult because I find that if there is an age limit on this novel is a little unfair as there aren't any dirty scenes in it! But Seconds is dark, fun and quite comical in some aspects. I adored so many things in this book and I was so addicted to it- I finished it with an hour! I couldn't put it down. 

As I was reading this, I kept thinking whether the author will be able to keep up with the standards of Scott Pilgrim as this is what the author is well known for. In my opinion, I think that O'Malley has and hasn't. The plot line was filled with so many dips with the emotions and I thought that the title name was very clever in why the author had chose it! (It took me a while to work out!) The characters were very well written and I found it such a shame that I couldn't find more out about them! Seconds was mostly set about two characters and this annoyed me because usually a book has more focus on smaller characters as well! 

The plot was so gripping but sometimes I did think that certain parts of the novel was boring and it lacked any description. On the contrary, I also thought that some parts had too much description included and I was overloaded with so many ideas of my own from the books own drawings! I know that the author wanted to keep up with expectations but some of this book had too much. O'Malley deeply annoyed me with this! 

However, there were so many good things that were trotting along with the bad things. Seconds showed the amount of bad luck one could recive and I felt so sorry for Katie! All of the things that had happened to her just made me laugh so much and that was one of the things I adored in this book! I can't really go into detail about a few things because I would probably spoil everything but nevertheless, Seconds is a great book to read! 

I think that if O'Malley tweaked a few things in his novel, I would've given it five stars but as there were parts I just didn't enjoy I had to knock off a few stars! It's a shame, but this is just my opinion! I will re-read this book one day so I do recommend this novel! Happy reading!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook