BOOK REVIEW || The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

16:32

 *NOT FOR THE AGES OF UNDER 12. SEVERE USE OF SWEAR WORDS AND A LOT OF MENTIONS OF SEX. Sorry.*
The DUFF by Kody Keplinger
Published by Poppy Publishing
Genres New Adult, Contemporary
Pages 300
Format E-Book
Source Amazon Kindle Store

Buy the book || Buy the book || four-stars

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren't so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

The DUFF was a novel that I read mainly for the film that is out this month but also because I have had so many recommendations to read Keplinger’s story. The DUFF is like a story I have never read before, as it explores what it is to deal with bad relationships with boys and also what it is like to be labelled something while you are at school. The first few pages of Keplinger’s novel really gripped me into the story, as I could really relate to the main character in certain ways. I think that The DUFF is a very amusing novel to read, as the range of language was very different to other contemporary novels I have experienced before.

Keplinger’s novel is told from the POV of Bianca, who is a teenager who has been labelled as the “Designated, Ugly, Fat, Friend.” At first, I found this extremely funny but then I realised that that title was around even in real life. This shocked me a little, to think that today’s society can even act like that without batting a single eyelid! But as I continued with the novel, the title for this book became more and more clear and I thought that the way Keplinger had come up with the name was very ingenious. The female protagonist in The DUFF was created in a way that at most times; I had found her really annoying to read…Whereas at other times, I could deal with her. I had really mixed feelings about Bianca and I am still not sure whether I love her/hate her.

The plot of The DUFF really got on my nerves. While I had enjoyed the content of Keplinger’s novel, the events that had happened in this book really messed with my head. There are so many things that I can point out that I didn’t like but if I did- there would be so many spoilers! I found that the book was very rushed and that the ending did not make any sense at all. In my opinion, the ending should not have happened like it did and I really wish that Keplinger could change it! Most of the characters seemed to drag on throughout The DUFF and I became bored of them. Even the comical ones, I actually don’t think that any of them even linked in together.


If you do read Keplinger’s novel, please read it if you are 12 and older. I’m 13 and I don’t even think that I was ready to experience what the author had included in. I did enjoy the novel but not to its full content. If there ever is a sequel to The DUFF I’m not sure that I would pick it up. I recommend it to those who enjoy contemporary novels! Happy reading and DFTBA!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook