BOOK REVIEW || The Night Itself by Zoë Marriott (The Name of the Blade #1)

15:35

The Night Itself by Zoë Marriott 
Published by Walker Books 
Genres Mythology, Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy.
Pages 368
Format Paperback
Source Southbank, Young Author Literature Weekender


When fifteen-year-old Mio steals the Katana – her grandfather’s priceless sword – she just wants to liven up a fancy dress costume. But the katana is more than a dusty heirloom, and her actions unleash an ancient evil onto the streets of modern-day London. Mio is soon stalked by the terrors of mythical Japan and it is only the appearance of a mysteriously familiar warrior boy that saves her life. Mio must learn how to control the katana’s legendary powers fast or she risks not only losing her own life… but the love of a lifetime.

The Night Itself is one hell of a fantastic beginning to a new series by Zoë Marriott! As this book was the first novel that I have read by the author, I did expect a lot out of this book, and when I had finished it- it had everything! And I really mean everything! Marriott's writing is beautiful, it has a wonderful pace to it and it is clear as daylight! If you don't know me, then you should know that I am kinda obsessed with Japanese stuff. (Mainly Manga and Anime) So to read a book that has Japanese Mythology is just brilliant! 

Marriott has created a brilliant set of characters, whom make me feel different emotions to what normal books do and that made me feel like I was friends with them! (My friend circle is quite small, shockingly.) I didn't think that any of the characters were annoying and the female protagonist, Mio, must be one of the most badass characters I have ever met! I think she even beats Kit Blackhart! The way that the characters were introduced was perfect and that it made total sense to what the plot was going on about. My favourite character must be Shinobu, and I'm pretty sure the author knows my love for him because she has seen my Tweets! 

The Night Itself's plot was a piece of genius! I have never read anything like that! I thought that it was creative and very realistic and most of the time in the story, I was like this to most of the characters: 

What?? You don't think I would add The 100?
 I have nothing left to say about the plot. It was amazing. Just- read it.

The Night Itself was a novel I thoughly enjoyed and I want to make this the law for everyone to read! Marriott, thank you for breaking my heart! DFTBA!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook