BOOK REVIEW: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas (A Court of Thorns and Roses #1)

06:00

 *Thank you so much to Bloomsbury Books for sending me the advanced copy of this novel. In no way, does this affect my opinion/views/ review for this book.*
A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas
Published by || Bloomsbury Books
Genres || fantasy, young adult, romance, new adult, paranormal.
Pages || 416
Format || Paperback
Source || Bloomsbury Books- ARC
Goodreads

 This book comes out on May 7th 2015! Pre- order it now! 
No mortal would dare venture beyond the borders of their world to Prythian, a forbidden kingdom of faeries. But Feyre’s survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill, and when she spots a deer being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. Killing the predator comes at a price though – her life, or her freedom.

Dragged to Prythian, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre’s presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, the faerie lands becomes an even more dangerous place.

A Court of Thorns and Roses is a novel that I simply loved. Everything to do with this novel was perfect and I devoured every single page. This is a new series that is due to start in May, with the next book sadly coming out next year. However, Maas has amazingly created a new world out of thin air and in my honest opinion, this world is so much more vivid than the ones that the author has written in the wonderful Throne of Glass books. A Court of Thorns and Roses is told from the perspective of Feyre, a mortal woman who murders a wolf without thinking twice about it- until she is dragged away from her home to live the rest of her life on the other side of The Wall...Which is where all the fey live.

Maas's novel has a mysterious feel to it. The writing style of A Court of Thorns and Roses explores the darker side to the author's writing; which isn't what I'm used to. Maas has created an intriguing plot line, the plot is very unpredictable and it does make you jump in certain places. The author has made her story so enticing and I found it really hard to put down! Once I had fully gotten into this novel, I couldn't sleep without knowing what had happened next. So as a consequence, I have probably lost a week of sleep. A Court of Thorns and Roses is a novel that I was sucked into, and I really fell in love of what was written into the book. The whole story left me with so many questions that were slowly answered throughout the book, and the foreshadowing in this book was very clever. However, I would like to point out that this book should be read for the ages of 12 and over because there are some very inappropriate things that I don't think that younger children would understand. I am not saying this book is bad, it is just that there are mentions of sex. And just like every single one of Maas's novels, there is always a map to set the mood for the book...


The characters that Maas has created was wonderful to meet for the first time. I really felt for Feyre, as she was the only mortal on the other side of the wall and I thought that she felt a bit left out because she wasn't fey. It made me think that she was an outcast, and that she didn't really belong in Prythain- and I believe that was the affect that Maas was going for. Every character I met left me with so many questions, most were about the back stories of the two lead male characters- Tamlin and Lucien. Even though Maas did let out very little about these two characters, I did infer that Tamlin and Lucien must have had very tough lives, and if you read this you will understand the pain that Maas has left me and a few other people I know in. I really do hope that in the following books, I will find out more about these two characters!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and even though I don't think that I am supposed two- I did secretly compare this book with Maas's other four books, to see what the differences are between the writing styles. And my conclusion is that they are both great, and it would be even better if Maas merges the two techniques together! A Court of Thorns and Roses is a stunning debút of a new series and I really cannot wait to see what the next few books will be like- and also to see if they will leave me in a book hangover, just like this novel has! Some of my questions haven't been answered but that is Maas's way of punishing me. I cannot wait until the next book arrives and I know that this series will be another smash hit! 


Links:
Throne of Glass book review: http://thebooksbandit.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/mini-book-review-throne-of-glass-by.html
Crown of Midnight book review: http://thebooksbandit.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/book-review-crown-of-midnight-by-sarah.html
Heir of Fire book review: http://thebooksbandit.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/book-review-heir-of-fire-by-sarah-j-maas.html




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook