BOOK REVIEW: Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

06:00

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
Published by Orion books
Genres || young adult, fiction, romance, contemporary
Pages || 336
Format || Paperback
Source || Waterstones
Buy the book || Buy the book || four-stars

Eleanor is the new girl in town, and with her chaotic family life, her mismatched clothes and unruly red hair, she couldn't stick out more if she tried.

Park is the boy at the back of the bus. Black T-shirts, headphones, head in a book - he thinks he's made himself invisible. But not to Eleanor... never to Eleanor.

Slowly, steadily, through late-night conversations and an ever-growing stack of mix tapes, Eleanor and Park fall for each other. They fall in love the way you do the first time, when you're young, and you feel as if you have nothing and everything to lose.

I read Eleanor and Park in one sitting, it was one of those novels that was very hard even put down for a moment! This book was brilliant! it had so much to it! Eleanor and Park is a novel about two young teenagers, and when they first meet- it is hate at first sight...Not love. At first, I thought that this novel would be one whole massive cliché: two teenagers would fall in love, they will get married and they would have kids. Even before starting the book, I thought that either one of the characters' parents were dead! Instead, Eleanor and Park turned out to be so much more than I had expected!

Rowell has made this book really realistic, with so many things that I related to! I cried every so often, because this book brought back good and bad memories from my past- which is really weird because a book rarely does that to me. And this was all to do with the plot! Eleanor and Park's story line was very truthful to what teenagers act like and the way that Rowell played with my emotions was just fabulous! I have never read a plot that has made me feel so many things at once! The author of this novel doesn't use a wide range of description however, I feel that this is because Rowell wants us to use our imagination! She, Rowell, made crystal clear images in my mind; and I could clearly picture what Eleanor and Park looked like- as well as what they sounded like when they talked!

Eleanor and Park is truly a heartbreaking stories that is told perfectly from the perspective of both of the characters. Both parts were equally beautiful and I have to say that this might be one of Rowell's best books! It would be an understatement to say that this book beats the likes of The Fault in Our Stars and If  I Stay because I believe that this novel may have beaten most of the contemporaries I have read! The reason why I have given this novel four stars is because there were a few things that I was really unsure of but other than that, Eleanor and Park gave me a heart attack!

Everything, pretty much, about this novel was stunning: the beginning, the middle and..the ending will just leave you in a book hangover for the rest of the week! Rowell uses words to torment you, so be aware of an early death! I really enjoyed this book and I hope that there is a sequel- as I feel like I need more of the two characters! One book does not do justice for both Eleanor and Park!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook