BOOK REVIEW: As Red as Blood by Salla Simukka (Lumikki Andersson #1)

06:00

 *Thank you to Hot Key Books for sending me a copy of As Red as Blood. In no way does this affect my opinion of the book nor the content of this review.*
As Red as Blood by Salla Simukka
Published by • Hot Key Books
Genres • Young Adult, Fiction, Thriller, Mystery, Crime, Contemporary
Pages • 236
Format • ARC Paperback
Source • Hot Key Books
Buy the BookBuy the Bookthree-stars

Seventeen-year-old Lumikki Andersson is hardly your average teenager. She lives by herself in the city of Tampere, Finland, and has a firm rule to mind nobody's business but her own. But that rule is put to the test when she happens upon five hundred washed euro notes hanging up to dry in her school's darkroom, and it is shattered once Lumikki realises who owns them.

Caught in an increasingly tangled web of deception, corruption and danger, Lumikki finds herself navigating Tampere's dark underbelly in her quest to expose its shocking connection to the international drugs trade. Lumikki is smart, but is she smarter than a master criminal? Can she bring down the infamous 'Polar Bear' - or will she become another one of his victims?

Dark and full of mystery, As Red as Blood is a debút novel written by Salla Simukka. As Red as Blood is a twist of the original fairytale of Snow White; as it is set in modern times and it is dealing with crime. Simukka has created a fascinating tale about a young girl called Lumikki Andersson and how she is dragged into the world of crime and horror all because of one simple thing that she found in her school's darkroom.

This may have been a short book, but Simukka hasn't failed to bring a very different world to life. As Red as Blood is a novel set in Finland, and with Simukka's brilliant description of Finland- I was able to picture the setting of the book very well! From this book, I was able to gather an eerie sense of what the town that Lumikki lives in was like. Tampere gave me the feeling that there are no good guys, but only bad. I loved this aspect of the book because even by reading it, I felt like a criminal that belonged in the story itself. The plot was very energetic and kept me going throughout the entire book as I was so engrossed into Lumikki's lifestyle and her adventures in Tampere.

As Red as Blood is full of plot twists, everything is so hard to predict! Simukka has written a creative story that not only deals with shocking twists, but also As Red as Blood plays with your mind and gives you emotions that you hardly expect from such a packed novel like this! I enjoyed meeting Lumikki's friends, and seeing how they acted throughout this book. What I thought was really clever that Simukka did was that she used a lot of foreshadowing and foreboding throughout her book. As Red as Blood is creepy and it is not for those who cannot deal with small bits of horror. Half of the things that I didn't expect from this book, magically turned up and it made this book even more brilliant than I had hoped for!

There were a few things that I did not enjoy throughout As Red as Blood. First of all, I thought that some sections (not all) were a little boring and my attention did go off of the book a bit. Secondly, I thought that small parts of the plot didn't make too much sense and it left me asking questions I didn't really want to ask. To add to my points, As Red as Blood didn't excite me as much until right towards the end and this meant that I was only a little excited as I was watching Lumikki during Simukka's novel. Other than that, As Red as Blood was perfect!

If you are a fan of crime novels, dark novels or even contemporary novels; I recommend As Red as Blood. I'm really glad that Simukka has turned her story idea into a series because I don't think that one book would just do. I cannot wait to read As White as Snow, which is the second novel in the Lumikki Andersson series and I wonder what Simukka has in store for us! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook