REVIEW: A Boy Called Hope by Lara Williamson.

00:00

A Boy Called Hope by Lara Williamson.
Published by Usborne Publishing on March 1st 2014.
Genres Young Adult, Childrens, Fiction.
Pages 304.
Format Paperback.
Source Birthday Present.
Buy the BookBuy the Bookfive-stars
I'm Dan Hope and deep inside my head I keep a list of things I want to come true.
For example, I want my sister, Ninja Grace, to go to university at the North Pole and only come back once a year.  I want to help Sherlock Holmes solve his most daring mystery yet. And if it could be a zombie mystery, all the more exciting. I want to be the first eleven-year-old to land on the moon.
I want my dog to stop eating the planets and throwing them up on the carpet. And finally, the biggest dream of all, I want my dad to love me.

I first read A Boy Called Hope on a cold, drizzly Sunday afternoon- as it was raining and I wanted something to read. Even though it was a very cold day, Lara Williamson's novel warmed me up from my head all the way to my toes. Williamson's book was such an eye opener, it was refreshing to read and I was able to go through it in one sitting.

Although  A Boy Called Hope was a relatively easy read, I loved the the unique style of writing. Lara Williamson has possibly created one of the best writing styles I have come across in a book, and even just by reading her book- I fell in love with it from page one. Williamson's novel left me howling with laughter; and it left me crying my heart out. It was such a fantastic book to read!

Dan Hope has a long list of things he wants to do, he wants his sister to go away to the North Pole and only come back once a year; he wants his dog to stop eating things he shouldn't...But most of all he wants his father to love him. I know that I usually say that I connect with the characters, but in A Boy Called Hope this was the one that I truly understood what the main character felt. Dan has a weird way if seeing things, he looks at the world in such a different way than I do. His naïvecharm brightens up the book, and it left me smiling- even through my salty tears.

Lara Williamson has written one of my favourite families, each and every member of Dan's family were brilliant- and I adored spending time with them! Dan's sister, Ninja Grace, was probably one of my favourite characters in A Boy Called Hope, she was cheeky- and she had a tounge sharper than a Samurai's sword. Furthermore, I loved meeting Dan's mother, she reminded me a lot of my own- and it made me smile by just reading through her scenes. Lara Williamson has described each and every one of the characters perfectly; and I was able to picture them clearly! 

Every time I think of this novel, the word beautiful inevitably enters my mind. A Boy Called Hope has to be one of my favourite stand alone novels, and I can see it going a long way. Lara Williamson has created an original, funny and diverse novel that I will be re-reading sometime this year!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook