Solitaire by Alice Oseman (Solitaire, #1)

00:00

Solitaire by Alice Oseman.
Published by HarperCollins on July, 31st, 2014.
Genres Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance, Mystery, Realistic Fiction.
Pages 400.
Format Paperback.
Source Brought (Waterstones)
Synopsis
My name is Tori Spring. I like to sleep and I like to blog. Last year – before all that stuff with Charlie and before I had to face the harsh realities of A-Levels and university applications and the fact that one day I really will have to start talking to people – I had friends. Things were very different, I guess, but that’s all over now.

Now there’s Solitaire. And Michael Holden.


I don’t know what Solitaire are trying to do, and I don’t care about Michael Holden.

I really don’t. (-Goodreads)

As this was one of the most anticipated début novels of Summer 2014, I was eager to pick up a copy of Solitaire. There has been so many outstanding reviews for Alice Oseman's novel, and it was obvious that this was one hell of a book to read. I brought Solitaire in January, along with other books, and I decided to start it straight away. However, when I was fifty pages in, I had to put it down. It took me another two attempts at reading Alice's novel before I could finish it. 

Solitaire is told from the point of view of Victoria 'Tori' Spring, and while I didn't really enjoy this novel, Alice Oseman managed to write a very believable teenager protagonist- and I felt that Alice had clearly written a very strong character. But as I carried on with Tori's adventure, I started to feel a little bored because her personality was a little too monotonous. Furthermore, I started to predict what she was going to say/do next, and I found that quite aggravating. Not only that, Solitaire's other characters seemed to be very similar to each other- and by meeting all of them, I could tell what was going to happen next, because the way that they were a little too cliché. 

The same can be said about the plot, as I was progressing throughout Alice's novel I knew what was going to happen at the end. And towards the end of Solitaire, the writing started to become too messy and confusing as Alice did not explain certain events clearly. The ending left me with so many unanswered questions, I had to go back a few pages just to make sure I didn't miss anything out. 

However, I thought that there were some strong elements to Solitaire, some of which included some of the attitudes that Tori presented to Michael, and the other characters. I did occasionally giggle at the way that Tori acted, and I think that was one of the few things that saved Solitaire from becoming a two star novel. 

I'm quite upset that I didn't enjoy Alice's novel, mainly because of all of the amazing things I have heard about it. Also, I think that it was due to the way that it was written- because I found it boring and slow. Now, I am really unsure on whether I want to read the next installment because I do not want to predict (and get right) what will happen next. Solitaire is a very easy read, but I am just saddened in the way that it turned out.  

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook