To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han (To All The Boys I've Loved Before, #1)

00:00

Thank you to Scholastic for sending me an ARC of this novel, in no way has this affected my opinion nor the content of this review.
To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han.
Published by Scholastic on April 15th, 2014.
Genres Contemporary, Romance, Young Adult, Fiction.
Pages 420.
Format ARC, Paperback.
Source Scholastic Books.

Lara Jean keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her. One for every boy she's ever loved. When she writes, she can pour out her heart and soul and say all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly Lara Jean's love life goes from imaginary to out of control...

Usually, I am not a massive fan of novels that are entirely themed around romance. However, To All The Boys I've Loved Before showed that there are romance novels that are quite good. This isn't a typical girl meets boy, girl falls in love with boy story; this is an original novel that has some amazing plot twists, and it isn't overloaded with romance.

Jenny Han's novel was cute, fluffy and enjoyable to read; I haven't really experienced a novel like this before! I loved the writing style of this novel, there were some comedic elements to it- and it really made the book stand out. I found that Lara-Jean's perspective was different, I didn't think that she was one of those girls who would instantly go for the hot boy standing next to her. Even though there were a few clichés that I did not particularly enjoy, To All The Boys I've Loved Before has a marvelous plot line- which was filled with some superb plot twists.

I thought that the first hundred pages were very well written, Jenny Han's writing was clear and concise but as I made my way through the novel, I did get a little confused to what happened in the plot- and I had to re-read some of the pages just to understand what had happened. By the end of the novel, I was still unsure on one thing; and it wasn't explained even after finishing the novel. Thankfully, there is another novel so when I get round to reading it; everything should be explained.

In To All The Boys I've Loved Before, I found that I fell in love with some of the characters. One being Katherine, or 'Kitty' as she is known throughout Jenny Han's story. Personally, I thought that Kitty had such a brilliant personality and her attitude towards other characters was outstanding. I believe that Kitty was one of the strongest/ best characters in the novel and I think that she stood out from the others. However, I did not like Margo- Lara-Jean's older sister, Kitty is the youngest- I found her too strict and I really did my best to try to like her, but it never happened. The other characters in To All The Boys I've Loved Before seemed to be a bit monotonous, I thought that they seemed to have the same personalities and I started to become a bit bored with them!

If you are a fan of romance novels, I recommend that you give this a try, I enjoyed many parts of this novel, some of the writing was very intricate and it helped set an image of what every character looks like. Jenny Han's To All The Boys I've Loved Before was possibly one of the best romance novels I have read in a while, because it wasn't like those cheesy stories I have sadly read in the past! I am nervous about what the next novel has in store, but I'm also very excited! Finally, thank you to the wonderful blogger Holly for buddy-reading this with me and to Scholastic for sending me a proof copy of To All The Boys I've Loved Before!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook