All Of The Above by James Dawson.

00:00

Thank you to publisher Hot Key Books for sending me an advanced copy of All Of The Above by James Dawson. In no way has this affected my opinion of the book, nor the content of this review.
All Of The Above by James Dawson.
Published by Hot Key Books on September 3rd 2015.
Genres LGBT, Romance, Contemporary, Young Adult.
Pages 319.
Format ARC.
Source Publisher.
Synopsis (Goodreads)
It would be neater, wouldn't it if this was a story about self-harm or sexuality or eating disorders or ridiculously hot bass players, but it's a story about all of them. Yeah it's a mess. And it's about to get messier...
When sixteen-year-old Toria moves to the faded seaside town of Brompton-on-Sea, she doesn't expect to fall in love once- let alone twice. But life has a habit of pulling you in strange directions, and when it comes to matters of the heart, sometimes you have to let go, be free, and let love choose you.
five-stars

It’s no lie that I am a fan of James Dawson’s writing, I adore reading every story that he has written and the majority of my favourite novels have come from this fantastic author. And hearing that James was bringing out a new novel this year sent me into excitement! All Of The Above is an enticing novel that kept me engaged for hours, it was poignant, funny, and moving. Dawson’s latest novel was honest and true to what teenagers think about, and the cast of characters pull you in from the first page and refuses to let you go.

All Of The Above follows the story of Victoria ‘Toria’ Grand, shortly after moving to a small town called Brompton-on-Sea. Toria starts at a brand new Sixth Form college, where she is instantly labelled as ‘New Girl’, and ‘Fresh Meat’. However, Toria begins to make new friends, and that’s when she really starts to grow. I loved hanging out with Toria and her group of friends because they seemed very realistic to what teenagers would act like today. Toria’s attitude to certain things in life was phenomenally brilliant, and I found that she was a very strong written character. Not only that Toria didn’t really seem like a very clichéd character, she wasn’t feeble minded and she wasn’t really an open book.

There are so many things I can say about Toria’s friends! I loved every single one of them, and throughout reading All Of The Above, I felt as if I really knew them in person. Every character in this book was unique, they had their own wild personality, each and every one of them were crazy in their own way…James Dawson has beautifully written a cast of fascinating characters. I had two characters that really struck as my favourite, and they were Polly and Daisy. Polly is one of those characters who does not care about what other people think of her. She’s wild, odd, and is probably one of the best characters I have seen from James Dawson. Daisy, on the other hand, was quiet, strange, and I fell in love with her the moment I met her. However, the rest of the characters were equally eccentric and they were perfectly suited for All Of The Above!

The plot was amazingly written. It was set out in a very clear and concise way, and it was easy to follow. James Dawson is the master of suspense, because throughout this novel I kept on feeling it. All Of The Above was a captivating tale, it was highly interesting to read and it is easy to connect with it. I can assure you that I was not bored when I was reading James’ latest novel, and I believe that this has to be one of the best stand-alone novels I have seen this year. The entire plot is witty, it will spur up emotions that you won’t expect, and it was just so upright to read.

If you’re looking for an intense novel to read, then pick up a copy of All Of The Above! Hot Key Books have yet again published a charming novel that has left me hooked. James Dawson is an author I do recommend, and this is another book that I will now find very hard to keep quiet about. I am absolutely pleased with how this novel turned out, I do recommend it to anyone who enjoys contemporary novels, and to everyone who enjoys reading! This is a novel that you should look out for! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook