George by Alex Gino

18:22

Thank you to publisher Scholastic Books for sending me a copy of George by Alex Gino. In no way has this affected my opinion, nor the content of this review.
George by Alex Gino.
Published by Scholastic Books on August 25th, 2015.
Genres LGBT*, Middle Grade, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Young Adult.
Pages 195.
Format ARC.
Source Publisher.
Synopsis (Goodreads)
When people look at George, they think they see a boy. But she knows she's not a boy. She knows she's a girl. 

George thinks she'll have to keep this a secret forever. Then her (4th grade) teacher announces their class play is going to be "Charlotte's Web." George really, really, REALLY wants to play Charlotte. But the teacher says she can't even try out for the part ...because she's a boy.

With the help of her best friend, Kelly, George comes up with a plan. Not just so she can be Charlotte - but so everyone can know who she is, once and for all.
four-stars

There isn't a word that I can use to describe George because I feel like every word that I use to describe it, is an understatement. Alex Gino has written an uplifting novel, that deals with real-life issues; and after finishing it, I had felt that my view on the world had changed. George was, in other words, amazing to read and I'm really thankful that Scholastic Books sent me a copy.

George was wonderful to meet, and I really enjoyed reading to see what she got up to. George also was fantastically written, and seeing what her thoughts were during the course of the book was outstanding. The way that Gino made George react to certain parts of the book seemed really realistic, and I found that the other characters were real, also. Alex Gino's George has a brilliant set of characters, each of whom had a unique personality that either made me love them, or hate them.

I thought that the plot of George was perfect, it clearly highlighted the issue that some people do not accept the LGBT* community. Furthermore, it also showed that there needs to be more YA LGBT* novels, because there are people who still discriminate others because of their sexuality. George really stresses this idea throughout the novel, and I think that Alex Gino has done a brilliant job for doing so.

Thank you, Alex Gino, for writing George. I don't think I haven't been more excited to read a book, and I don't think my heart has been warmed so much- either. This is a compelling read, and I think that everyone needs to read this, just so they can unravel emotions they thought they didn't have. I didn't expect to love this book as much as I do now. George is fantastic, I haven't been able to keep my mouth shut about it- and I have already lent my copy to a friend. Alex Gino is going to go a long way with George, and I'm expecting it to get adapted because it's that amazing! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook