Trollhunters by Guillermo del Toro and Daniel Kraus

13:56

Thank you to publisher Hot Key Books for sending me a copy of Trollhunters by Guillermo del Toro and Daniel Kraus. In no way has this affected my opinion, nor the content of this review.

Trollhunters by Guillermo del Toro and Daniel Kraus.
Published by Hot Key Books on June 30th, 2015.
Genres Fantasy, Young Adult, Horror, Science Fiction, Humor, Adventure.
Pages 336.
Format ARC. (Paperback)
Source Publisher.
Synopsis: (Goodreads)
YOU ARE FOOD. 
Those muscles you flex to walk, lift and talk? They're cuts of meat topped with chewy tendon. That skin you've paid so much attention to in mirrors? It's delicious to the right tongues, a casserole of succulent tissue. And those bones that give you the strength to make your way in the world? They rattle between teeth as the marrow is sucked down slobbering throats. There are monsters, you see- with monstrous appetites. 

Trollhunters is a gruesome, witty and brilliant story written by film director Guillermo del Toro and American author Daniel Kraus, and this fantastic tale follows the perspective of a boy called Jim Sturges Jr. as he goes on an adventure in a world that is filled with trolls. I'm usually quite wary of novels that are collaborated because I do feel that sometimes they do become a bit messy and boring due to the different writing styles, but with Trollhunters, I didn't even notice that there were two different authors who had worked together to write this outstanding novel! 

I've always adored trolls. I love the way that they've always been described, how they've been portrayed in novels (for instance: you might have good trolls or bad trolls), and when I've seen some amazing illustrations of trolls, I find that they are breathtaking. And in Trollhunters, the illustrations (that have been brilliantly drawn by Sean Murray) were phenomenal to look at! They clearly set the image of what these trolls looked like, and the images have stayed in my head ever since I have finished this novel! I don't normally read novels that have illustrations inclueded, but when I do, I always end up in awe just by looking at them! The trolls in Trollhunters are horrifying to gaze at- and that sets the perfect tone for these creatures! 

Guillermo del Toro and Daniel Kraus has created a very interesting plot. I found that it was clear and very detailed, and it was an easy follow. However, I felt that Trollhunters was quite slow paced because it took a while to get to the main part of the book; as well as the dilemma. Due to this, I did find some sections of the book quite long and a little boring, but I throughly enjoyed Trollhunters and I found myself glued to Guillermo del Toro and Daniel Kraus' writing! It was a perfect read, I do recommend it for Halloween because I think that it is perfect for that time of October/ that time of year! 

Hot Key Books always seem to publish novels that I fall in love with, and I seem to have a growing collection of novels that I have enjoyed! Trollhunters was amusing to read, I really enjoyed the with from Jim Sturges Jr. (who I must say was wonderfully written, I fell in love with him a few pages after I had first met him), and from some of the trolls. Although, I didn't really like some of the characters that were included in Trollhunters- but I think that it was mainly down to the way that they were described in this novel. Other than that, I thought that this book was monumentous! This was one heck of a book to read! 

If you are looking for a novel that will scare you, but make you laugh your socks off at the same time- Trollhunters is the one for you. Guillermo del Toro and Daniel Kraus are both really talented authors, and I am looking forward to be seeing what either one of these writers are going to bring out next! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook