Reasons Why You Should Do NaNoWriMo

00:00

Hey guys,

It's November and that means one thing, and one thing only. NaNoWriMo. NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month, and during the course of November many people will be taking up the challenge to write fifty-thousand words for their story - as this is generally considered the minimum amount of words for a novel. I first started to partake in NaNoWriMo back in 2013, when a friend of mine persuaded me to have a go at this challenge - as this was when I decided I wanted to become an author. In the thirty days, I managed to write around fifteen-thousand words; which was a huge milestone for me because I had never written that much before. Anyway, I thought that I could share some reasons to why you should take part in NaNoWriMo this year.

The Community is Wonderful

The community for NaNoWriMo are really supportive, in the coming weeks (and days) to NaNo you're sent mail, prepping you for the annual challenge and the forums that are on the website answer the majority of questions that people have. One of the hardest things, when it comes to writing, is staying motivated right through to the end - but on the NaNo forums they help out if you're stuck, and I've found that taking part in one or more of the forums helps with staying focused on your story all the way through. 

You Get Prizes

During last year's NaNo, people who managed to complete the challenge of writing fifty-thousand words were eligible to getting 50% off of the purchase price on Scrivener - which is a writing tool that helps out with authors nailing their first draft, and organising their notes/research. Another prize was getting two copies published of their novel, for free, from CreateSpace. NaNoWriMo does give out some awesome prizes, so that's a huge bonus - because you get something for pushing through to write fifty-thousand, or more! 

It Tests Your Writing Ability

NaNoWriMo has one rule: keep on writing, no matter what. As I've already mentioned, staying motivated while writing a long piece of fiction can be hard - but during the course of NaNoWriMo you're really determined to reach your target. And I can assure you, by the time NaNo ends, you'll be a better writer than you were at the beginning of November. 

NaNoWriMo is awesome, and it's really helped me with writing my novel. If you want to find more about the challenge, then click here to go onto the website. Another amazing thing about NaNoWriMo is that you get add buddies - so that they can help you with reaching your target, and it's also a great way to get writing advice. (Click here if you would like me as one of your buddies!) If you've done NaNo before, let me know how many words you have done - and what it was like for you to take part. If you've never done NaNo before, but want to take part, I can promise you that it will be a lot of fun. NaNoWriMo is one of my favourite things to do, and I'm really looking forward to reaching my target of fifty-thousand words!

Gee! :3

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook