REVIEW: Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

06:00

Thank you to Orli from Blame My Bookshelf for sending me a copy of Carry On. In no way has this affected by opinion of the book, nor the content of this review.
Carry On by Rainbow Rowell.
Published by Macmillan Children's Books (UK) on October, 8th, 2015.
Genres Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance, Fiction, Paranormal, LGBT*.
Pages 522.
Format Hardcover.
Source Orli from Blame My Bookshelf.
Synopsis

Simon Snow just wants to relax and savour his last year at the Watford School of Magicks, but no one will let him. His girlfriend broke up with him, his best friend is a pest and his mentor keeps trying to hide him away in the mountains where maybe he'll be safe. Simon can't even enjoy the fact that his room-mate and longtime nemesis is missing, because he can't stop worrying about the evil git. Plus there are ghosts. And vampires. And actual evil things trying to shut Simon down. When you're the most powerful magician the world has ever known, you never get to relax and savour anything.
four-stars 

If you've read Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, then you would know that the protagonist Cath was obsessed with Simon Snow. And while I was reading Fangirl I simply loved the Simon Snow chapters, so I found it hard to put down. When Rainbow Rowell announced that she was writing a Simon Snow story, I was over-the-moon and I could not wait for the day that it came out. Fangirl made me love Simon Snow's character, and while reading Carry On I couldn't adore the character even more.

Simon Snow attends the Watford School of Magicks, where he has to share his room with his enemy: a vampire called Baz. This year is Simon's last year at Watford and he wants to make the best of it, but after the constant attacks from the evil Hundrum (who looks like Simon, but when he was eleven-years-old) it doesn't seem likely. As Simon prepares to defeat the Hundrum, he and Baz become closer than ever before. 

The writing for Carry On was completely different to what I'm used to with Rainbow's writing. Instead of the warm third person writing that I usually read, Carry On was told from the first person - with several different perspectives. While, at times, I found the different naratives confusing I did really enjoy seeing how the characters felt and thought during the course of the novel. Even though I adore Rainbow Rowell's fluffy contemporary novels, Carry On is probably one of my favourite stories that is written by her. Although, I did sometimes feel that the change of narrative wasn't needed because it took my focus away from something that I was really enjoying. But, altogether, I thought that the writing style for Carry On was phenomenal and I hope that Rainbow Rowell writes more novels in this way; as well as this genre. 

I LOVED Simon and Baz (Baz has been my favourite since Fangirl), and their character development was fantastic in Carry On. I really enjoyed reading Baz's naratives, and seeing how he reacted to certain parts in the story; it was just perfect. I would love to see more stories about Baz and Snow come out because they were a brillant pair of characters. I did enjoy some of the other characters, for instance Simon's best-friend Penny, but I think that I would have liked them more if their naractives were a bit longer so I could gain more of a perspective of them. 

Carry On was an amazing book, I found it hard to put down and I loved how it progressed from the beginning all the way to the end. However, this was once or twice, I did feel like the book dragged on and I did get bored. But the rest of Rainbow's book was brilliant, and I'm glad that she gave Simon Snow his story because I wanted to read so much more of him when I was reading Fangirl. If you're a fan of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books, I highly recommend this! Carry On has made me love Rainbow Rowell even more than I already do.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook