REVIEW: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

06:00

4327066The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.
Publisher Pocket Books.
Publication Date February, 1st, 1999.
Genres Young Adult, Contemporary, Fiction.
Pages 232..
Format Paperback.
Source Borrowed.


Goodreads Synopsis: 
Charlie is a freshman. And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular.

 Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it. Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But Charlie can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.
one-star

I do not understand why there is such a hype for this book. The Perks of Being a Wallflower was possibly one of the worst contemporary novels I have ever read; it was so un-enjoyable, I disliked it a lot. This is a shame, of course, because of all of the reviews that praise and recommend Chbosky's novel. After being told to read this book by several bloggers, and my friends, I decided to give The Perks of Being a Wallflower a go - however by the time I got to the end of the first chapter, I started to dislike it.

Let me get this straight: Chbosky isn't a bad writer, in some aspects I can see why so many people love his novel, but the writing style for The Perks of Being a Wallflower really got on my nerves. This is mainly due to the fact that I wasn't a huge fan on the way that Chbosky laid out his novel - I thought that it dragged on - as well as the fact that I could not get on with the protagonist, Charlie. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is set in the epistolary form (in the style of letters), and while I do enjoy seeing a YA novel set out in this way, I just didn't think it suited this novel. This is a disappointment because I rarely read a novel that is just written in the letter form. 

It's incredibly rare that when I read a novel, I end up hating all of the characters. Charlie, the protagonist, was the one I hated the most - and by the time that I finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower, I was relieved that I didn't have to spend another minute with him. The way that Chbosky presented Charlie aggravated me a lot, to the point that I hated his character by the time that I finished the first page. Charlie is, in my opinion, highly naïve and quite immature and I just had an awful time trying to like this character. The other characters, for instance Sam, seemed really monotonous and they all appeared to be the same for me. 

At times, I do wish that I could've forced myself to stop reading this book when I was halfway through because of how much I disliked it - however, I feel that I needed to get a full opinion on this novel so that when it came to reviewing it, I could gather my thoughts together about the entirety of The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I do find it a huge shame that I didn't enjoy this book like many people have - but then again, if we all liked the same books there would be no different opinions about them, or the book blogging community wouldn't really exist. I am upset that I couldn't get on with this book, but I don't think I can give Chbosky's book another go due to how bored and frustrated I was with it.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook