REVIEW: Head Over Heels by Holly Smale (Geek Girl, #5)

18:08



26094860Geek Girl: Head Over Heels by Holly Smale
Published by HarperCollins Children's Books
Publication Date April, 7th, 2016
Genres Young adult, contemporary, comedy, romance
Pages 416
Format Hardcover
Source Gift


Synopsis
Harriet Manners knows almost every fact there is.

She knows duck-billed platypuses don’t have stomachs.
She knows that fourteen squirrels were once detained as spies.
She knows only one flag in the world features a building.

And for once, Harriet knows exactly how her life should go. She’s got it ALL planned out. So when love is in the air, Harriet is determined to Make Things Happen!
If only everyone else would stick to the script…

five-stars

Let's get straight to the facts: Head Over Heels is a laugh-out-loud, feel-good novel that will keep you occupied for hours, Smale's writing is perfection. The fifth instalment was what I was expecting it to be: a phenomenal story that, yet again, has not failed to leave me speechless by the time I had finished it. With every Geek Girl novel that comes out, Smale's writing becomes better than ever, and it will inevitably leave you falling in love with the characters, plots, and everything else that makes this series magical.

Harriet is a well-written character who is a well-intentioned typical teenager. After her last shoot in Paris Harriet has come to terms that modelling isn't her thing, so she focuses on her friends and her A Levels. Head Over Heels was really detailed: the description of the characters was fantastic and I thought that the way that Smale depicted the various settings was phenomenal. In one particular section of the book, I felt that I was in the place that Smale was describing and it was surreal. I don't think that I have ever come across a novel with such beautiful description.

Whilst there is a lot of in-depth description, I also enjoyed learning a lot more about the characters that were introduced in the previous novel, All That Glitters, and I found them more likeable than ever. I feel that I connected with the various characters a lot throughout Head Over Heels, which is always a good thing, and I think that Smale has created a wonderful bunch of people. Throughout this novel, I think that Harriet came out of her shell and I loved her wit all the way through.

I thought that the progression of Head Over Heels was fantastic, everything was clear and concise as well as moving at the right pace. Smale has got some serious writing talent: she has been able to create a protagonist who still has her awkward teenage side to her, yet, is growing into a strong-minded young woman. Head Over Heels was such an enjoyable book, by the time I was finished with it I was left speechless.

Head Over Heels is a fun, delightfully eccentric, and beautifully written novel - I recommend this to anyone who is looking for a lighthearted read.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook