REVIEW: Sunny Side Up by Holly Smale (Geek Girl Side Story)

00:00

27209626Geek Girl: Sunny Side Up by Holly Smale.
Published by HarperCollins.
Publication date June 30th 2016.
Genres young adult, contemporary, romance
Pages 224
Format Hardback
Source Brought



Synopsis: 

Harriet Manners knows many facts.

And she knows everything there is to know about Paris… except what to do when you’re the hottest new model at Fashion Week.

Can Harriet find her je ne sais quoi or will it be sacré bleu! on the runway?

five-stars

Hearing that Holly Smale was releasing another Geek Girl book, I knew that it was going to be a fantastic novel. And Sunny Side Up was; a glorious novel indeed. Even though this was a short story, I think that Sunny Side Up has to be one of the funniest ones in the series.

Like always, Harriet Manners has her misfits and misfortunes when it comes to modelling. This time, however, it's fashion week, one of the most popular weeks in the fashion industry. Though Harriet tries her best to be the most decent model she can be, but that doesn't happen. Instead, Harriet is her usual self, which makes the novel have its witty sense. 

I have, and always will, click with Harriet. She is a perfect representation of what a quirky teenager is like, and Harriet is one of the most realistic characters I have seen in a long while. Sunny Side Up, I think, is one of Harriet's best, Smale has written Harriet incredibly well in this short story, I really enjoyed how Smale depicted Paris, throughout the novel I often felt as if I was with Harriet, experiencing what she was going through. This heightened the comedy in Sunny Side Up and, as per usual, I laughed myself silly. 

Sunny Side Up was brilliant. That's the only way I can describe this novel. I love Smale's writing, it's always so enjoyable to read. 

Oh, did I mention that there's another part to this story? If you love Nick, yes the one and only Lion Boy, then you'd be delighted to know that there is a chapter told in his perspective from when he first meets Harriet. This short POV gives you such a better understanding of Nick's character, and I think Smale has made me fall in love with him more than I already do. I would love it even more if there were more chapters told in Nick's perspective, as in the chapter that is featured in Sunny Side Up was phenomenal. 

Smale has proven that with every novel she writes, her stories become funnier and better than ever. Sunny Side Up is a light-hearted, and a perfect summer read. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook