BLOG TOUR: Shadow Magic by Joshua Khan

09:00

Displaying Shadow Magic.jpgShadow Magic by Joshua Khan
Published by Scholastic Books
Publication date October, 6th, 2016
Genres Middle grade, fantasy, fiction
Pages 336
Format ARC
Source Publisher

Buy the Book (Amazon) | Buy the Book (Waterstones)

Synopsis: 
In a world ruled by six ancient Houses of Magic, a girl, and a boy begin an epic and dangerous journey of discovery... After her parents' murder, 13-year-old Lilith "Lily" Shadow rules Gehenna from Castle Gloom, an immense and windowless citadel. Once Lily's ancestors commanded spirits, communed with the dead, and raised armies from out of the grave. But now her country is about to be conquered by the Shadows' ancient enemies - the Solars, the lords of light. Thorn is a peasant boy, wily and smart, sold into slavery and desperate to escape. So when he's bought by Tyburn, executioner to House Shadow, he'll agree to just about anything - even to serving Castle Gloom for a year and day in order to earn his freedom. When Lily is nearly poisoned by a ruthless and unknown assassin, she and Thorn embark on a dangerous quest to save Gehenna, a weird and wonderful land of haunted castles, mysterious forests, and an unforgettable giant bat. Together they must unravel a twisted plot of betrayals, pride, and deadly ambition.

four-stars

Readers will find Joshua Khan's Shadow Magic practically impossible to put down. I absolutely adored this novel, so much so that I was able to read it in one sitting, I just couldn't put Khan's novel down because I was glued to the pages, hungry to find out what happens next. Shadow Magic was a fantastically well-written novel, which kept me completely engaged from start-to-finish. 

Khan has created a phenomenal set of compelling characters, Lilly, Thorn, and K'leef were extremely likable - I think they may be some of my favourite characters of this year! The cast of characters that Khan has created had their own unique personalities, it was clear which character was who; they didn't blur into being the same person. Lily grew up a lot throughout the novel, and I loved how Khan developed her throughout Shadow Magic, and even though she is the new ruler of her kingdom, she wasn't a bully or a tyrant - but, rather, a ruler that simply tried to do her best, and what she thinks is right, even if that meant getting her, and her friends, into trouble. I think her bat, Hades, (yes, you read that correctly, there is a bat called Hades - and also a zombie cat called Custard) is probably one of my all-time favourite animals I have met in a novel, its relationship with Thorn constantly cracked me up and I fell in love with this dear, old bat! Thorn really tries to see the best in people, and that was clearly shown through his relationship with K'leef. I really liked this element that Khan had included in his novel, it put a smile on my face. Lilly, Thorn, and K'leef worked perfectly together, and I am looking forward to seeing where their relationships will go in the later books to come. 

Overall, the plot itself was wonderful to read. It often kept me in a state of suspense, and it always kept me thinking what would happen next. The detail and description put into Shadow Magic were impeccable, I could clearly envision what was what in Khan's novel, I could image the characters, the settings, etc, in such an amazing way. As soon as I started this novel, I was dragged into Thorn's perspective, and from Khan's writing style, it was like I was experiencing everything Thorn went through myself - and it was the same when it came to Lily's perspective. Honestly, the actual storyline of Shadow Magic has to be one of my favourites of 2016, The plot is tightly written, and I can promise any person who reads this that they won't be disappointed. 

This magnificent page-turner left me practically speechless by the time I had finished it. I love this book with a passion, and I am really looking forward to seeing what happens in the next book. I cannot stop recommending this book, go and read it! 

Displaying JOSHUA KHAN.jpgJoshua Khan was born in Britain From very early on he filled himself with the stories of heroes, kings, and queens until there was hardly any room for anything else. He can tell you where King Arthur was born* but not what he himself had for breakfast. So, with a head stuffed with tales of legendary knights, wizards and great and terrible monsters it was inevitable Joshua would want to create some of his own. Hence SHADOW MAGIC. Josh lives in London with his family, but he’d rather live in a castle. It wouldn’t have to be very big, just as long as it had battlements. 
*Tintagel, in case you were wondering.



Thank you to Faye Rodgers and Scholastic Books for sending me a copy of Shadow Magic, in no way has this affected my opinion of the novel, nor the content of this review. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook