BLOG TOUR: Dream Magic by Joshua Khan

08:58

28810204
Title: Dream Magic
Author: Joshua Khan
Publisher: Scholastic
Publication date: 2017
Genres: fantasy, young adult, middle grade
Pages: 395
Format: ARC
Source: Publisher

Buy the Book (Amazon) | Buy the Book (Waterstones)

Synopsis:
Lilith Shadow, princess of Gehenna, is struggling to conceal her forbidden magical powers from her people. Her only ally is Thorn, ex-outlaw, now a squire at Castle Gloom. 

Together, they must deal with threats from all sides: zombies roaming the countryside, a troll army descending on the castle, and sinister jewel-spiders kidnapping villagers in the dead of night. 

My rating: 4/5

If you were a fan of Khan's first novel in this series, Shadowmagic, then you will surely adore the latest instalment to this series. Dream Magic returns readers back to Gehenna, where poor Lilith Shadow simply cannot get a break: she's struggling to hide her powers from the people of her kingdom, has to deal with trolls threatening war, and people are vanishing in the dead of night. 

The world building in Dream Magic was such a joy to read. I thoroughly liked the imagery created by the author, the small details of the settings added a pleasant touch to the story. I really enjoyed going back into the world that Khan introduced me to in the first novel, It would be an understatement to say that the world in Dream Magic is phenomenal. 

It was amazing to see the characters back in action. The character development from Shadowmagic to Dream Magic is one of the best that I have seen in a while and my connection with each of the cast for Khan's novel grew from the first time I had met them. These characters have grown stronger without a doubt, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Khan will develop them further in later novels to come. Lilith, the princess of Gehenna, is such a perfect, yet flawed character, and with these elements mixed together creates an altogether beautiful character. Much like with Thorn, I really enjoyed how Khan made me feel as though I was in his shoes for the majority of Dream Magic.

The plot was well written, and I'm loving it more than I did with Shadowmagic, which equally had a fantastic plot. Dream Magic's plot is clear, and I could spend all day reading it. I was drawn in by the first chapter, and I was eager to continue reading to see what happens next to the cast of characters. 

Overall Dream Magic was a joy to read. Khan's second novel in his Shadowmagic series is a definite improvement on what was an already fantastic novel. I'm really anticipating to see what happens next in this series, Khan is a talented author, whose work should be praised. If you are a fan of fantasy, Joshua Khan's Shadowmagic series is not one to miss out on.

Many thanks to Faye and Scholastic Books for sending me an advanced copy of Dream Magic, in no way has this affected my opinion of this novel, nor the content of this review.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook