REVIEW: Forever Geek by Holly smale

00:00


Title: Forever Geek
Author: Holly Smale
Publisher: HarperCollins 
Publication date: March 2017
Genres: young adult, contemporary, romance, humour
Pages: 400
Format: hardcover
Source: Amazon
Buy the book (Waterstones) | Buy the book (Amazon)

On the trip of a lifetime Down Under, Harriet's to-do lists are gone and it's Nat's time to shine! Yet with nearly-not-quite-boyfriend Jasper back home, Harriet is completely unprepared to see supermodel ex Nick. Is the fashion world about to turn ugly for GEEK GIRL? It's time for Harriet to face the future. Time to work out where her heart lies. To learn how to let go...

My rating: 4/5

The last Geek Girl book is here, and whilst I am sad that I have to say goodbye to Harriet and her crazy gang of friends, I am so, so happy that such a perfect series had the most amazing ending. The closer I got to the end, the more I started to cry and by the time I had actually finished Forever Geek, I was holding the book to my chest sobbing. Yet again, I am blown away by Smale's brilliant and witty writing, it's incredibly engaging and I have loved every moment of reading her novels.

I loved the sense of adventure in this novel and the mishaps that Harriet went through. I certainly think that Harriet was at her best here in the novel, and even know she's still the same awkward self-centred girl I've grown to love more with each novel, she really came out of her shell in Forever Geek. Smale did a phenomenal job with really making the reader click with Harriet in this fantastic last novel, and I felt like I've known her my entire life from this one book. It was also really great to see some of the old characters that I haven't seen for a while, especially Wilbur, who, as well all know, is my spirit animal (I'm not joking, I love him that much - he's such a well-written character who is always so full of charm and wit). I think Smale did a great job of allowing the characters who were featured more in the last book to step out of the spotlight for the majority of the novel and allow the old-timers to step in. 

I've said this before and I'll say this again, but I have never connected more to a character than I have with the one and only Harriet Manners. Smale has done a fantastic job with presenting Harriet as a genuine teenage girl who everyone can find some connection with. I'm really going to miss her.

I think it's fairly obvious to say that I swallowed every page of this book, and as hard as I tried, I still managed to finish this novel within several hours because I could not put Forever Geek down. This is a real page-turner, and, in fact, the same can be said for the rest of the series. The plot to this Geek Girl novel was at its finest, the plot twists (the majority of which did make me tear up) and the way it was drawn to a close was phenomenal. I don't think I could imagine a different ending to the book and to the series. Smale did a great job of making sure the main cast of characters got what they needed in the end. 

If you're looking for a book that has comedy written all over it, with romance, sadness and laughter too - this is the one for you. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook